We’re moving toward our vision to be better neighbors to those in our community. The vision to serve right here in Littleton, to focus our efforts as a church, to build relationships, to have a greater impact, and to offer the unconditional love and abundant grace of God. We are “Loving Littleton!” – Rev. Trudy
Our Missionary is You
What comes to mind when you hear the word “missionaries”? If you are like me, I imagine people working in foreign places that I have only seen in pictures. In my mind, these people possess a faith in Christ that is beyond my comprehension.
These images are the problem though, aren’t they? This view envisions the mission of the church only being done in far off places by a few spiritual super-heroes. This, of course, couldn’t be further from the truth.
The mission field begins when you set a foot outside your front door. The missionary is you.
The leadership of our church believes that God has placed Littleton United Methodist here for a reason and that reason is to bless the ever-changing com-munity around us. Mission is not limited to distant continents or even Civic Center Park in downtown Denver. It is right here in Littleton, staring us in the face.
Our vision is that our church can be an active representative of Christ, caring for families within a two-mile radius of 5894 South Datura Street. This is not to say that this idea hasn’t always been on our hearts. It has. This vision, however, localizes all of our mission focus to our immediate surroundings. We don’t want to have a scattered approach to mission. We want to focus. We want to have a greater impact. LUMC wants to love Littleton in the same way that God loves us.We are moving toward our vision to be better neighbors to those in our community. The vision to serve right here in Littleton, to focus our efforts as a church to build relationships, to have greater impact, and to offer the unconditional love and abundant grace of God. We are “Loving Littleton!”Here are some opportunities for you to love our neighbors.
- The East Elementary School hosts a homework club every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 3:15 to 4:05 p.m. Volunteers are required to pass a background check and to make a commitment of a minimum of 6 weeks. No major skills, mathematical knowledge or studies are necessary. For more information, contact Janet Haysley at firstname.lastname@example.org
- North Littleton Promise hosts elementary school students for tutoring on Tuesdays, 3:30 – 5:30 p.m., and Thursdays 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. and middle school students on Mondays, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m., or Wednesdays 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. Snacks are needed for these tutoring sessions, and dinners on Wednesdays at 5:15 p.m. For more information, contact Nathan See at 303-794-6379.
- The Life Center offers GED tutoring for adult students, often the parents of the children we’re seeking to serve. The weekly commitments vary. For more information, contact Jean Lundy at email@example.com.
- Family Education Night at The Village Preschool on October 20th: help with meal set-up and service, and child care. For more information, contact Kelly Kates at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Immigration Program at the Bemis Library: English Language Learner Tutor and Language Partners are needed for 18+ y/o students. Background check required. Once a week for 1-1/2 hours on a one to one basis. For more information, contact Douglas Smith at email@example.com.
Get to know our neighbors through these opportunities! Together, let’s start “Loving Littleton”!!