The congregation at Littleton United Methodist Church is diverse in age, occupation, and background. Many who have joined our church family did not have a church background, while other members came to us from a number of denominational backgrounds. Others are life-long Methodists who are looking for a friendly church with a traditional worship experience where extraordinary music and fine arts are integrated into the life of the church.
Since its beginning in 1890, LUMC has been a place people of all ages and stages can call home. We consider all our ministries—from toddlers to seniors—to be of equal importance. No matter the age, circumstance or background of those joining our church family, we are certain there’s a place for you.
A Rich History of Ministry
Welcome to a church with a proud history! Although we are a vital, growing congregation, housed in a beautiful building, like most churches, we had humble beginnings. What you are now part of what started as a dream, with one or two Christians called Methodists in what was then, a small country town.
Methodists around Littleton in the 1870\’s were first served by circuit-riding ministers, much like those who traveled the eastern frontiers a century earlier. In our case, it was Father John Dyer, the \”Snowshoe Itinerant\” of Colorado\’s Summit County fame, who made calls and held the camp meetings. Finally we were organized in 1890 into a Methodist \”Society\” with nine members by the Rev. John Collins, English-born preacher who started many churches along the Front Range. Meetings were held in various halls above downtown Littleton storefronts until a tent was acquired and pitched on Main Street. A \”Tabernacle\” with frame sides and a canvas top soon followed. It often leaked, and undeterred members sat through services holding umbrellas. They persisted in erecting the first permanent structure in 1900. It sat on Nevada Street, one-half block north of Main.
This core building was used continuously until 1958, although many additions and remodels were made. In December 1940, a few days after the 50th anniversary celebration, it was nearly destroyed by fire. The church reopened three months later, refurbished and expanded, using largely volunteer labor and materials.
By the late 1950\’s a different decision had to be made. The population explosion in and around Littleton filled the church to overflowing. Should we enlarge the old building or move and build a new? Growth was toward the east of downtown, and the Methodists followed by moving up the hill to Shepperd and Datura Streets in Windermere Parks. The site had been part of a 15,000-tree apple orchard planted in the 1880\’s. Men from the church, armed with chain saws, cleared the lots.
Financing of new churches was not easy to come by, and fifty members had to personally co-sign a mortgage of $70,000. It was a true commitment.
The first unit of the new church opened in 1958 and was the multipurpose sanctuary/meeting hall/dining room called Grant Fellowship hall. It was debt free when the new sanctuary, education wing, and chapel were added in 1965. The new sanctuary features massive beams of Oregon fir and a striking art glass \”Window of the Holy Spirit.\” In the glassed-enclosed breezeway which connects the first building with the newer one hang photographs which depict many of the chapters in our church\’s history.
Littleton United Methodist Church celebrated its centennial throughout the 1989-1990 year with the theme, \”First Century of Christian Service.\” Now in our second century, we acknowledge and give thanks for all the faithful who have paved our way.
We are a church that encourages a strong pulpit. The people come expecting to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ proclaimed powerfully.
We are a church that encourages a strong, warm-hearted personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Jesus Christ is at the heart of everything we do.
We are a worldwide church. You can find a United Methodist church, mission, school, hospital, or clinic in many villages, hamlets, towns, and cities around the world.
We are an open, inclusive church. Our members come from every culture and every socioeconomic group, and all are embraced. We have more Asian American and Native American members than any other denomination. We are second in number of Hispanic American members. We have more African American members than several other denominations combined. In addition, we have been at the forefront in encouraging women to give strong leadership in the church, and therefore we have more women clergy than any other denomination.
We are a giving church. Persons who join The United Methodist Church promise to serve God and support the church with their prayers, their presence, their gifts and their service; and that pledge of loyalty enables us to give generously to benevolences and mission efforts.
We are a church with a family spirit. That family spirit enables us to be there for each other in our joys and sorrows from the cradle to the grave.
We are a church that owns and operates many colleges, hospitals, children\’s homes, and homes for the elderly. We also operate the oldest church-owned publishing house in the world.
We are a church that reaches out with deep compassion to help hurting people. Our UM Committee on Relief is quickly on the scene all over the world to provide aid, love, and care to victims of natural disasters, ethnic violence, and warfare. We feed more than a million children every day.
We are a church with a great social creed that has been an inspiration to all in Christendom.
We continue Christ\’s ministry of preaching, teaching, healing, and caring.